As mentioned previously, All Saint's was first constructed in the late 11th or early 12th century and probably comprised a nave, tower and a small chancel. Later, in the 13th century, the church underwent its biggest transformation of the time when the transepts and the current chancel were built. It has been suggested that the effigy of a priest lying in the north transept is that of the person responsible for the rebuilding of the church at this time [1] and dates from about 1300.

Church plan
Plan of All Saints' showing its stages of development. Adapted from "Parish Churches of the Forest of Dean", Mike Salter.


  1. "Parish Churches of the Forest of Dean", Mike Salter, Folly Publications, 2001, p21
© 2000-2016 The Longhope Village Website www.longhopevillage.co.uk